Methods for the Improvement of Vulnerability Assessment in Europe
Funding: EC FP7
Duration: 10/08 – 12/11
MOVE intended to
- create knowledge, frameworks and methods for the assessment of vulnerability to natural hazards in Europe.
- use indices and indicators to help improve societal and environmental resilience placing emphasis on clear, capable measurement and accounting for uncertainties.
- identify gaps in existing methodologies.
- produce a conceptual framework that is independent of scale and hazard type.
- analyse physical, technical, environmental, economic, social, cultural and institutional vulnerability measured for specific hazards and at different geographical scales.
- study floods, temperature extremes, droughts, landslides, earthquakes, wildfires and storms.
Specific research input:
- Development of a new, consolidated risk and vulnerability framework
- Assessment of vulnerability to floods in the Salzach catchment for the social, economic, institutional and cultural dimension
- Compilation of a manual for stakeholders on vulnerability assessment
- Editing of a methodological compendium with Elsevier